Monday 21 October 2013

Living Better on Less

I have a dripping hot tap - well, dribbling, and worse each time it's used - so I'm trying to do as little washing up as possible (washing up = kettles of boiling water + cold tap). I was also trying to use up some leftover beetroot before it went off, and that plus one-pan-cooking-YAY made me decide on a variation of Jack Monroe's beetroot, lentil and feta salad.

My version skips out the leaves, which would be grand in summer, in favour of some carrot, and beefs the whole thing up a little with some stock.

1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium carrots, cubed
3 beetroots, cubed
2 small onions, chopped small
100g red lentils
300ml chicken stock

Heat the oil in a saucepan.

Add the carrots and beetroot. Saute for about 10 minutes.

Add the onions to the pan. Saute until the onion begins to soften.

Rinse the lentils and add to the pan, stirring well.

Add the stock to the pan and simmer until the stock is absorbed into the lentils.

You can crumble some feta cheese over the top, which is really nice; I just forgot that today.

This made easily enough for two, so there's a tub of leftovers in the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment